Venice is a city built on water, and the Grand Canal, or the “Canalasso” as called by the Venetians, is its bustling main street. Lined with sumptuous palaces and crowded with gondolas, water taxis, fire and ambulance boats, and vaporetti (public ferries), this thoroughfare is a feast for the senses. Explore the Grand Canal with a small group tour on a luxurious motor boat and a licensed guide and enjoy a completely different perspective of Venice.
Tour program of the Grand Canal boat trip with guide:
- Meeting point at the Royal Gardens, on the waterfront of St. Mark’s Square and start of the boat tour.
- In the first part of this small group Venice boat tours, you will cruise down the Grand Canal at a relaxed pace with numerous photo opportunities as your friendly and knowledgeable guide introduces you to the splendid palaces, churches, bridges and other monumental buildings that line the main waterway of Venice. Here some of the highlights you will see:
- The facades of the magnificent buildings which stand on both sides of the water: the “palazzi”, which were the houses of the most important noble families of the city; and the “fondaco”, which are traditional buildings combining a warehouse and a merchant’s residence. Admire the Ca’d’Oro (Golden House), the Ca’Pesaro, Ca’Foscari and many other impressive facades from the different architectural style, a mix of Byzantine Romanesque buildings, Renaissance Palazzos and Neoclassical mansions.
- Along the two-mile route there are four bridges, including the most famous and oldest one: Rialto Bridge.
- Between the most amazing structures along the Grand Canal, you will admire the church of Santa Maria della Salute built in thanks for the end of the plague. A beautiful structure outside and inside, but also a fascinating one. Over one million timbers were driven into the floor of the canal to support its weight.
- In the second part of the tour, sit back and enjoy a delightful journey through the minor canals of Venice. In the hidden Venice, as you travel through four of the city districts of Venice you’ll get a full overview of the city and enjoy picture postcard views of the most romantic parts of the city.
*This experience requires a minimum number of 4 travellers. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. If so, you will be offered an alternative or full refund.
The price includes: Professional skipper – English speaking guide.
The price does not include: Hotel pick-up and drop-off.
Do not forget: Camera – Sun hat – Comfortable shoes.
Maximum: 9 people on board.