Begin your journey from the Faro Marina to discover the vast Ria Formosa Natural Park, which covers approximately 18,000 hectares and is recognized as one of Portugal’s seven natural wonders. With only 12 other guests, you’ll board a comfortable boat and sail through the channels of the Ria Formosa, stopping at Ilha Deserta and Ilha do Farol.
Program of the boat trip to Ria Formosa Natural Park from Faro:
- Arrive 15 minutes before departure time at the Islands 4 You ticket office, located in front of the Eva Senses Hotel, Avenida da República Stand 8 Doca de Recreio de Faro, 8000-078 Faro.
- The tour begins with a scenic cruise along the canals of the Ria Formosa Natural Park. Recognized as one of Portugal’s seven natural wonders and part of the Natura 2000 network, this park is an internationally important protected area characterized by a vast labyrinth of lagoons, islands and waterways. As you explore the park’s diverse flora and fauna, keep an eye out for the iconic “purple swamphen” bird, chameleons, colorful flamingos, and the friendly Portuguese Water Dog, which once helped fishermen bring their catch ashore.
- Your first stop will be at Ilha da Barreta, also known as “Ilha Deserta”, one of the Algarve’s most remote and unspoiled islands. It is rumored to be inhabited by only one man and his dog. The island has a 2km wooden walkway leading to Cape Santa Maria, the southernmost point of Portugal. You will have approximately one hour to explore the island, admire its rich flora and fauna, and enjoy its crystal clear waters.
- Next, you’ll have the opportunity to visit Ilha do Farol, one of the islands that form a sandy barrier between the Ria Formosa and the sea. This island is an integral part of the Natural Park and is home to a small group of colorful houses and the historic Santa Maria Lighthouse. During the tour there will be a stop for you to explore the island, where you can visit one of the typical bars or clubs to enjoy a cocktail by the sea, take a memorable photo or just relax on the beach.
- The tour ends after about 3h30min at the Port of Faro.
*This experience is subject to weather and sea conditions. In case of unfavorable conditions, the tour may be canceled after confirmation. If this occurs, you will be provided with an alternative or a full refund.
**This experience requires a minimum number of passengers. If there are not enough reservations, the tour may be cancelled after confirmation. If this occurs, you will be offered an alternative or a full refund.
The price includes: Professional skipper – Authorized local guide.
Don’t forget: Valid ID or passport – Sun hat – Sunglasses – Sunscreen – Beach Towel – Swimsuit – Camera.
Maximum: 12 people on board.